To celebrate America’s birthday, I wanted to have a week devoted to America’s finest… and what screams America more than a burger!? And not just any burger… an In n’ Out burger!
In n’ Out Burger
- 1 lb ground beef chuck (I used 80% lean… more fat the better 🙂 depends how “healthy” you want to be)
- American cheese slices
- Secret Spread
- 2 Tablespoons mayo, 1 teaspoon ketchup, 1/4 teaspoon mayo, 2 teaspoon minced dill pickles
- Iceberg lettuce
- Caramelized onions
- 1 diced yellow onion, 1 Tablespoon oil, salt
- Tomato Slices
- Hamburger Buns (potato rolls or brioche rolls are other great options)
- Caramelize Onions: Heat oil in a pan over medium – medium low heat and add onions. Stir occasionally for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Season with salt.
- Secret Spread: Mix together secret spread ingredients.
- Burgers: Make patties with ground beef and season with salt and pepper. The key is to make them really thin – you will need to make them thinner than you think because they will plump up once cooked. Heat oil in a pan and cooker patties over medium heat for about 3 minutes.Top uncooked side with about 1 teaspoon of mustard. Flip patty, top with cheese slice and cook until medium doneness.
- Assembly: Toast buns, top with secret spread,tomato, lettuce, hamburger patty/cheese, and caramelized onions.
Looking for the perfect side? Make these amazing chips and dip!
Baked Potato Chips with Sour Cream and Onion Dip
- Russet Potatoes (3-4)
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 Green Onion
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Use a mandolin to thinly slice potatoes. I used to cut thicker slices but I find cutting them 1/4 inch or so is much better!
- I used an olive oil mister to spray a baking sheet, then dispersed potatoes on the sheet. I resprayed with olive oil and sprinkled lightly with salt. Bake for 10-15 minutes (keep an eye on them, depends how thinly they are cut)
- While the potatoes are baking, whip together the last 3 ingredients to make an amazingly easy dip!