My signature dish… the perfect appetizer to any Mexican meal (or any meal for that matter)!
Makes 5-6 sopecitos
- 1 cup Maseca brand corn masa
- 2/3 cup warm water
- Large pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Can of refried beans
- 1 cup shredded chicken (about 2 breasts)
- 1 cup salsa verde
- Crema (equal parts sour cream to milk)
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Cotija or Queso cheese
- Combine corn masa, water and salt in a bowl with your hands. Knead into a ball.
- Divide into equal parts (5-6) and flatten into 3 inch rounds. Use your fingers to create a “lip” around the outer edge (this will help contain all your toppings). Ultimately it is going to look like a mini tart pan.
- Heat an inch of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. I drop in a tiny bit of dough and if it starts to sizzle you are ready to go! Add sopecito in face down and fry for about a minute. Flip shell with a flat spatula and cook for another minute (until golden brown).
- Drain on a paper towel and continue until all shells have been fried (I can do this in a couple of batches usually).
- Warm refried beans in a small saucepan. At the same time heat shredded chicken in a separate saucepan and add salsa verde sauce. Stir until warmed through.
- Assemble sopecitos by topping with refried beans, and shredded salsa verde chicken. I allow guests to top their sopecitos with whichever toppings are to their liking and then top it off with some crema.
- Serve immediately.